Date(s) - 08/12/2023 - 08/13/2023
Picking and Eating Berries
Our focus for this week is to explore the different types of berries and integrating berries into your meals.
Types of Berries
Cranberries, Blueberries, Huckleberries, Chokeberries, Elderberries, Gooseberries, Lingonberries, Boysenberries, Red and Black Currants
Cross of Fruit and Berries
Blackberries, Strawberries, Red, Black, Golden, and White Raspberries, Olallieberries, Mulberries
Acai Berries, Goji Berries, Cape Gooseberries, Cloudberries, Pineberries, Salmonberries
- Wild berries in the wild (always make sure they are editable berries)
- Visit a berry farm
- Hit the farmer market
- Visit the local grocery store
Cleaning and Washing Berries
Make sure to always wash, clean, and rinse your berries before you eat them.
- Place berries in a colander and dip in a bowl of cold water, swish the berries around, and then dip dry.
- Visit Martha Stewart’s recommendation on washing and storing berries. VISIT HERE.
- Add berries to your cereal (Wheat, Cornflakes, Oats and more)
- Add berries to your oatmeal and yogurt
- Add berries to your pancake
- Add berries to your green salad
- Drink berry smoothies for breakfast
- Bake pies
- Make tarts
- Make homemade jams and syrup
- Make berry muffins
- Homemade berry icecream
- Homemade berry milkshakes
- Create a berry salad (like fruit salad)